Tuesday 28 April 2015

CRISPY OKRA / KURKURI BHINDI

I hate vegetables. I seriously do. At least, the traditional Indian way of making them. So I am always on the lookout for new ways of preparing veggies which otherwise I would never even think of eating. A friend once mentioned that his mother made okra/bhindi/ladyfinger in a different way, so I decided to look up some recipes online. I found this recipe for crispy okra, or kurkuri bhindi as it is also called and decided to give it a try.
I must say, I haven't had this much bhindi in all my life combined, as I had the day I made this.
This recipe calls for deep frying, so it would be better to cook in a lighter oil. We have been cooking with canola oil for a long time, which is very healthy and good for the heart as well.

Original recipe here.

Ok, so here goes.


METHOD:

  • Wash the okra properly, and dry it completely.
  • Cut off the ends, and slit each piece lengthwise into 4.
  • Take the okra in a bowl, and add salt, mango powder, garam masala, turmeric powder, and red chilly powder and mix well so that the spices coat the okra properly.
  • Keep aside for 10 minutes.
  • Now add gram flour and corn flour to the bowl. Mix well.
  • Heat oil in pan.
  • When the oil is hot, fry the okra in batches.
  • Fry till they turn brown and crispy.
  • Keep tossing and flipping the okra pieces so that they do not stick to each other.
  • Take them out once they turn brown.
  • Sprinkle chaat masala on top of them and serve. 


Okra mixed with spices and corn flour and gram flour.




Voila.!

Enjoy.!


No comments:

Post a Comment